Cannaregio    Castello    Dorsoduro    San Marco    San Polo    Santa Croce    Giudecca    The Islands
The List    The Lost Churches    The Scuole
The Veneto: Padua and Verona               Emilia-Romagna: Bologna



 

La Certosa Monumental Cemetery






History

The San Girolamo della Certosa monastery cloisters and grounds became the city cemetery in 1801. The discovery of an Etruscan tomb here, during work to extend the cemetery, resulted in major excavation work, uncovering the Etruscan necropolis of Felsina in 1869, which had been in use from the 6th to the 3rd centuries BC. This leading to the founding of the Museo Civico Archaeologico in 1881, mostly to house the items found here.

The spectacular galleries and decorated family tombs of the local nobility got the cemetery a reputation as an open-air museum and a necessary stop-off in Italian grand tour -  Byron, Dickens, Sigmund Freud and Stendhal were notable visitors who wrote about their visits. 

Amongst the poets, politicians and painters buried here are the singers Farinelli and Lucio Dalla, artists Mauro and Gaetano Gandolfi and Giorgio Morandi, the composer Respighi and motor manufacturers Alfieri Maserati and Ferruccio Lamborghini.

Cemetery opening times
Summer (from 1/3 to 2/11)
7.00am to 6.00pm
Winter (from 3/11 to 28/02)
8.00am to 5.00pm

The Certosa Cemetery website

 

 









 

 

 

 







 





 

 




 






 


                 
 

 

 



The Memorial to the Partisans

 

 



 




Home

Cannaregio :: Castello :: Dorsoduro :: Giudecca :: San Marco :: San Polo :: Santa Croce :: The Islands :: Demolished